Friday, July 3, 2009

This week's readings. . .

Vincent van Gogh is intriguing to me. I absolutely love the Starry Night painting! Maybe it's because I loved the song "Starry, Starry Night" by Don McClean back in the 70s, and I knew it was about van Gogh, but was not familiar with the painting. I wish I could be more definitive about why I love this painting - I love the colors for one thing, but it is more than that. I just can't quite put my finger on it. I am going to continue to try to figure it out, however. Reading about him, and seeing some of his paintings, I think he really fulfilled his goal mentioned in the chapter to touch people with his work. I can understand why coach Phelps was so touched by, and even changed, by his work.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I like a lot of paintings, but I'm not a painting guru, so a lot of times I can't tell why I like them. I also really like "Starry, Starry Night." There's something very enticing about it that just draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not understand the "Starry Starry Night". Every time I see it, I think it looks quite frightening. Maybe it's pleasant. I do not understand much about art, but I think it's a beautiful painting though. I like old muscle cars, now that's good art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I have always loved Van Gogh's paintings, but I don't really know why either. When you look at his paintings you can tell that it really means something to him. It was his life. Other than that, I don't know why either. If you figure it out, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that song too and did not know it was about that painting. I have just made a plan to listen to the song and look at the painting at the same time. The painting itself confuses me, mostly with the light. Every time I look at it I wonder why the only shadow is cast by the pool table. The characters painted also interest me as they all look half asleep except one.

    ReplyDelete