Friday, July 3, 2009

From Class

Probably what stands out in my mind from class this week is the painting of Vincent van Gogh, the one that I assume is a self-portrait (the one someone kept hidden and was going to have destroyed after his death). It showed so much emotion, even pain. I felt like I was looking at more than just a painting, it was a glimpse into the soul of a person. I was surprized by the amount of emotion and empathy I felt looking at it. How does someone express so much of themselves through paint and canvas? It seems that would be much more difficult than with the written word, or through music.

Another artist that I found very interesting was Jackson Pollock. I suppose that at some point in time I may have been one of those people who would look at a piece of abstract art like his and make a comment like "a five-year-old could do this." However, really looking at a couple of his paintings in class I realized this was so not true. I really enjoyed his work, and was amazed at how purposeful his paintings were.

No comments:

Post a Comment