Friday, July 17, 2009

Class thoughs

Ok, so this week class was a little frustrating for me. Going through so many time periods and trying to remember when they all were and what they all are was confusing. Then I had to try to make sense of why we have to remember it all! Can't we just look at art, learn to evaluate art, and appreciate it for what we find interesting, beautiful, and edifying?

Then I read Jasie's paper on Dadaism, and I kind of got it. Knowing when art was created, and what was happening in the world at the time will help me understand, evaluate and appreciate art. I was not excited about the Dadaist painting we saw in class (the one with the war veterans playing cards), although learning something about the time period and the motivation behind them gave them meaning and life far beyond the initial reaction. It is still somewhat grotesque to me, and I don't find them edifying and uplifting. But, that being said, they have an important message that is expressed thoughtfully and carefully.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate with you on the information being a little overwhelming, I felt the same way. So thank you for your advice, you're right! I also love the fact that art tells so much about a culture and time period. I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete