Saturday, July 11, 2009

Class discussion on color

I really appreciated the class discussion on color the other day. Especially with respect to the Van Gogh painting of the pool hall. I don't particularly care for that painting, although until class I couldn't tell you why, just like I couldn't tell you why I did like the Starry Night painting. I am beginning to understand justs a little what my reasons might be. The fact that the color value is low key gives the painting a certain feel. The intensity of the colors I think is also a factor. The colors are not bright, but rather dull. It feels almost depressing, and I think that is why I don't care for it.


On the other hand I really love Starry Night. Perhaps the colors are one reason why. Even though the colors are somewhat on the dark side, they are intense and bright, in contrast to the pool room painting. It gives the painting a completely different feeling, not depressing, but maybe mystical, magical. I'll figure this out yet!

1 comment:

  1. I really don't care for the pool room painting at all either and I think that's what Van Gogh might have been going for. I feel sickly and lonely when I look at it. The colors create this feeling of disgust. I think it portrays the frustration and hopelessness Van Gogh might have often felt.

    ReplyDelete