Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Reading on Dance

I enjoyed particularly Isadora Duncan's "Movement is Life" in Monday's reading. She said, "I notice that a baby of three or four coming to my school is responsive to the exaltation of beautiful music, whereas a child of eight or nine is already under the influence of a conventional and mechanical movement. . ." she talked about how a child will loose that spontaneity they have as young children, because we educate it out of them. This brought to mind my little granddaughters, and their love of dancing with any type of music that is on, from singing and dancing with Wii's Rock Band, or dancing to the Tabernacle Choir. Soon they will learn that you don't dance to the Tabernacle Choir, and that choir music isn't "cool" to listen to. Do cultural "norms" enhance life today, or do they hinder it? I have to admit that if I saw someone of grownup age dancing to the Tabernacle Choir I would think it a bit odd. People randomly dancing by themselves in public I would probably put on that list as well. But what if there were no "norms," what if dancing by yourself in public was accepted as totally fine? Would society be weird? Who's to decide what weird is anyway?

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting what kind of influence society ca have on a single person, to make them think and act in a certain way by teaching them what is the norm. I have a 5 month old son. I hope that my wife and I can teach him to be a rounded person and think and act for himself. To get the information he needs and than decide for himself and not let anyone else decide for him.

    ReplyDelete