Friday, July 3, 2009

Hello Dolly

I went to Hello Dolly this week at the Hale Center Theater. I thoroughly enjoyed this production. The singing was fantastic, the dancing was great, the performers were great, and the theater in the round is an out of the ordinary setting. It's amazing what they can do in a limited amount of stage space. There isn't a bad seat in the house wimthis theater. If you haven't experienced this type of theater, you should go if you get the chance. It is a very intimate setting, and you feel almost part of the performance rather than just an observer. Granted, most people in the audience were retirees, but don't let that stop you!

"Hello Dolly" before, but this time I tried to look at it and gain something new or different than just entertainment, although it was very entertaining. A big part of the story for several of the characters is that they are embarking on an adventure. It is an adventure for the two shop boys, an adventure for Dolly, an adventure for the young couple who want to get married, and an adventure for Mr. Vandergelder, although he doesn't know it yet. They are all going to New York from Yonkers for this adventure. I thought about how, at this stage in my life, I don't have a lot of adventures. My life is pretty routine, well except for coming to BYU for the summer, but even that I have done for the past two years, so the adventure is kind of old. I need to continually look for new ways to add "adventure" to life, do new and different things, and include new people in my life.

2 comments:

  1. My wife and I saw Phantom at the Hale Center Theatre in April. I liked the set up and how close were to the actors as well. It seems to bring the play to life more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to see Singin' in the Rain last week. It was amazing and they really do a great job of getting the audience almost involved. I think it would be neat to see Hello Dolly there as well.

    ReplyDelete