Friday, June 26, 2009

Utah Arts Festival

Yesterday I attended the Utah Arts Festival in downtown Salt Lake City. I went with my daughter and two little granddaughters. I have had a tendency in the past to avoid art festival type events, seeing them as just a place to spend money. (Again, my husband's views have rubbed off on me.) So yesterday I was determined to go with different eyes, look beyond the money and just enjoy and appreciate.

It helped to have my granddaughters there. The first place we visited was the children's area. There was a white-washed wall 3-4 feet tall with lots of containers of paint in the grass for the children to just come and paint on the wall. This was a big hit! Even my granddaughter who is only a little over a year old wanted to paint. She also wanted to eat the paint, but that's part of the fun. I wouldn't say they have great artistic talent, but that's the great thing about being a kid. No one cares if you do or not, you can just paint. There was even a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and milk booth for food to feed the kids.

I found myself really enjoying the different artist's booths. There are so many different media from which to create art! One of my favorites was a booth with art they called X-Rayographs, where they took x-rays of different plants and objects and somehow printed that on paper and then tinted them with color. The result was light, ethereal, breathy prints that were very unique.

Another booth I totally enjoyed was an artist that did drawings, pencil I think? One I particularly enjoyed looked like a self-portrait on a 8 1/2 x 11 paper that had been torn into several pieces, and then the artist was reaching out of the paper trying to tape the pieces back together again. I saw myself in this picture, not that I am torn, but that I feel I am constantly trying to put all the pieces that make up me together in better ways, trying to smooth the rough edges and wrinkles.

The weather at the outset was blazing hot, but mercifully after an hour or so clouds arrived bringing some relief. The Maui Wowi Strawberry Banana smoothie also helped. It was a great setting between the Library and the City and County building. In addition to the artist's booths, there were musical performances, film screenings, food, and on and on. I thought since we went on the first day, and it was a Thursday, it wouldn't be too crowded, but there were plenty of people. I can only imagine what it will be like Saturday. It was a little pricey, especially since they don't let people bring in their own food (they check your bags at the gate for food). But going before 3:00 meant it only cost $5 to get in. I also indulged my older granddaughter with a marionette horse and found a unique and lovely birthday gift for my future daughter-in-law. You can just go and enjoy, if you don't go hungry. Overall, a really enjoyable afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of being free to create as a child. I read a book once that said that we are all born artists and that we talk ourselves out of our creativity as we grow up. There is a lot to learn from watching children and how they are not afraid to be creative.

    I love your description of some of the art you were able to see and relate back to yourself somehow. That is exactly what art is supposed to do! I also love your description of the atmosphere of the event. It makes a big difference and is all part of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was cool how you were able to relate to the art so well. It must have felt great to expose your Grandchildren to the arts and finer things in life. My grandparents did the same for me, and I can tell you: if they don't appreciate it now they surely will some day.

    ReplyDelete