Friday, August 7, 2009

Class Discussion on Movies

I never knew much of anything about movies before our class discussions. I go, I know if I like it or not, and then I leave. I didn't know that there are certain types of shots and cuts, etc., and how that can have an impact on the way you view the movie and what you think about it. I almost feel manipulated in a way! But it is a good manipulation for the most part, because it helps you to get into the story, to know what is coming next, and to move the story along. I think it interesting how film making evolves. In the movie screening I went to last week, Bang the Drum Slowly, it seemed quite slow moving, and I think it was because there were fewer cuts from one scene to another. The camera showed one scene for a longer time. Before learning about scenes and different types of cuts, I could tell that it moved slower, but I wouldn't know why. So that is kind of cool.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I never seem to understand movies. All I know is that older movies are slower and newer movies are generally faster with more techniques. I guess that is the way as technology increases. Even though older movies are still great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are kind of manipulated in a way huh? haha I hadn't thought of that... but I am glad we are as well because I love getting into a really good movie!

    ReplyDelete